Hope you are doing well.
How is your wellness journey going?
Mine is going great. I make sure to meditate, journal, practice yoga, bicycle, and attempt strength training along with a healthy diet daily.
Am I happy? I am not sure.
Am I sad? No way!
It is essential to practice a healthy lifestyle if you want to keep a balanced state of mind. Happiness, sadness, anxiety, depression, and fear are products of a chaotic mind. The moment you achieve a balanced mental state, such day to day worries won’t have any control over you.
Remember, we cannot let external factors ruin our day. Staying in control should be our ultimate priority.
Today we will discuss how we can deal with Anxiety & Depression through healthy living and a little help from the magical plant Cannabis whose extract CBD has proven to induce mental tranquility.
What is Depression?
Depression is a mental disorder posing a significant risk factor for suicide, substance abuse, impaired functionality, and poor outcomes of medical conditions. It is identified by flattening of mood, retardation of thought and movements, and loss of emotional expression. Individuals suffering from depression regularly have a depressed mood, loss of interest in activities they were ordinarily interested in, loss of energy, sleep disturbance, and reduced ability to focus.
The American Psychiatric Association’s Diagnostic Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fifth Edition (DSM-5) classifies depressive disorders into major depressive disorder, premenstrual dysphoric disorder, persistent depressive disorder, disruptive mood dysregulation disorder, and depressive disorder due to a medical condition. However, all these classes of depression are marked by a sad or irritable mood with an associated challenge in thinking, concentrating, and carrying out basic physical tasks, diminishing the individual’s day to day functioning.
Medications for Depression
Medications practiced for treating depression are of various classes, each with a distinct mechanism of characteristics, actions, and side effects. Some of these drugs include Fluoxetine (Prozac), Amitriptyline, Imipramine, Citalopram, Amitriptyline, and Imipramine. These drugs generally improve the concentration of stimulant elements in the brain to improve depressive symptoms.
CBD Oil Effects on Depression
Although the FDA has not authorized CBD oil to treat any condition, several studies have displayed its health benefits.
CBD has been proved to have antioxidant properties, which indicate that it is capable of mopping up toxic substances acquired from food or generated in the body. These substances are usually at the center of inflammatory conditions such as inflammatory bowel disease, myocardial infarction, and stroke.
Oxidative stress generated by the discharge of these toxic substances originates from age-related diseases such as Alzheimer’s disease and Parkinson’s disease. CBD has been seen to protect against these degenerative diseases of the brain and decrease their clinical progression in patients suffering from such conditions. CBD may also aid in the clinical advancement of some autoimmune diseases such as rheumatoid arthritis and lupus.
Clinical trials have recorded that CBD oils are useful in the treatment of epilepsy and other seizure disorders. Studies have revealed that CBD may have therapeutic benefits for brain disorders such as psychosis, multiple sclerosis, and depression. Other advantages of CBD are currently being investigated, including its benefits on anxiety and depression, as well as on post-traumatic stress disorder and social anxiety disorder.
How Can CBD Help with Depression?
CBD is useful in the treatment of depression. While CBD does not remedy the condition, it has been connected to the betterment of the symptoms.
The cannabinoids created in our bodies (endocannabinoids) help manage numerous functions of the body, such as mood, appetite, pain sensation, and sleep. These substances exercise their actions by connecting to specific points of brain cells, termed the receptors. They potentiate the effects of a substance called serotonin, which acts to elevate mood and decrease stress levels. Serotonin also works by binding to its receptors in brain cells. When these chemical elements bind to their particular receptors, they trigger a sequence of events within each brain cell-stimulating means that improve mood and stress control.
CBD has been seen to help improve depressive symptoms by changing the actions of the endocannabinoids and increasing the effects of serotonin by enhancing the activity of the receptors unto which serotonin binds. CBD oil assists to significantly improve depressive symptoms and the individual’s state of life.
Suggested Reading: How to beat depression
CBD Oil: Research Studies
The growing research and understanding of cannabidiol are leading its way to its benefits in mental health. The initial results of some studies into CBD and depression seem convincing.
Cannabidiol or CBD is the second most (highly dominant) part of the active ingredients of cannabis (marijuana) plant. While CBD is an imperative component of medical marijuana, it is stemmed directly from the hemp plant. Also, CBD is one of the hundreds of components of cannabis; by itself, it does not cause a “high.” “High” or psychoactive hypertension in mind is caused by the other dominant component of marijuana, which is popularly known as THC or Tetrahydrocannabinol.
CBD is a Phytocannabinoid which helps to incite the regulation of the central nervous system. CBD, therefore, helps reinforce the effects of endocannabinoids in monitoring appetite, functions of the immune system, sensation, mood, and keeping our bodies operating normally.
CBD for Depression
Depression is a complicated disorder; it can best be expressed as a medical illness that negatively affects how you feel, think, and act as well as causing intense sadness. Depression restricts you from enjoying activities that you once loved. If this is illness is left untreated, depression can lead to physical and emotional problems; not only that, it reduces your capacity to function at work and home.
How does CBD affect the human body?
- Oxidative stress prompted by the release of toxic substances causes age-related illnesses such as Alzheimer’s disease and Parkinson’s disease. CBD has been found to guard against these degenerative conditions of the brain and lessen their clinical progression in patients suffering from stress and illness mentioned above. CBD may also help in the clinical progression of some autoimmune diseases such as ‘lupus’ and ‘rheumatoid arthritis.’
- Clinical trials have revealed that CBD oils are useful in treating ‘epilepsy’ and other ‘seizure disorders.’
- Studies have shown that CBD may have healing benefits for brain disorders such as ‘psychosis,’ ‘depression,’ and ‘multiple sclerosis.’
- Other benefits of CBD are currently being investigated, including its effects on anxiety and depression, as well as on social anxiety disorder and post-traumatic stress disorder.
Clinical Studies on CBD
The traditional depression therapy does not involve CBD in the treatment. It includes Psychotherapy, Prescription medication, and home remedies.
Research indicates that CBD oil can be a cure for depression as it helps to regulate several receptions of the body, such as mood, pain sensation, sleep, and appetite. These substances use their actions by attaching to specific points of brain cells called the receptors through which they potentiate the outcomes of a substance called serotonin- which acts to improve mood and reduce stress levels. Serotonin works in the brain by binding its receptors in brain cells. When these chemical substances bind to their respective receptors, they trigger a sequence of events within each brain cell, inciting processes that improve mood and stress control.
Cannabidiol has been found to help develop depressive symptoms by tempering the actions of the endocannabinoids and potentiating the consequences of serotonin by improving the activity of the receptors unto which serotonin adheres.
Testing in animal models has given some evidence for the use of CBD to help treat depression efficiently. However, studies have estimated the mechanism of CBD in the treatment of depression. CBD is identified to act on the endocannabinoid system to reduce pain symptoms. Researchers have also started to examine the effect of antidepressants on this system to reduce symptoms of depression. This research has also found the impact of other receptors and areas of the brain that are affected by both antidepressants and CBD.
CBD: The New Elixir to Cure Anxiety
Over the last decade, medicine has made some startling discoveries. One of the revolutionary practices is the discovery of the benefits of CBD oils in controlling anxiety and providing stress relief. With so many advancements and new theories being accepted by more and more medical practitioners, CBD has become a worldwide remedy for debilitating conditions like depression, anxiety, and other stress-related disorders.
How would you know if you have anxiety?
Anxiety is a behavioral and emotional problem. It is by far the most prevalent problem that the world is tackling. No matter how common it becomes, suffering from anxiety issues is a real problem. A state of restlessness and panic typically characterizes this condition. Such people usually have issues in handling critical remarks, voicing their opinion, and making public appearances.
What is CBD?
For all of those who are new to this term, CBD is a plant product extracted from the Marijuana plant. This plant produces several components, but the ones more exploited by the researches are CBD and THC. Although TCH is being sidelined for anxiety relief purposes because of its psychoactive nature, CBD is gaining all the popularity. CBD stands for Cannabidiol, and it is a non-psychoactive compound.
CBD’s action on anxiety
According to a Brazilian study conducted on a group of people, consuming CBD has shown a considerable decrease in social anxiety. This improvement amongst people was validated by a before and after a brain scan, which clearly showed an increase in the blood flow in the cerebrum of the brain.
The cerebrum is the part of the brain that controls emotions, vision, and individual personality. Increased blood supply to this region directly means an enhanced functional outcome. People who have issues with public speaking or appearances, obsessive-compulsive disorder, or Post-traumatic stress disorder usually benefit from CBD oil treatment.
CBD’s Mechanism of action
Things are going to get a little more technical now, so brace your mind and dive in! According to pre-clinical insights, CBD has two major pathways in the rodent brain:
- 5-HT1A agonist: 5-HT1A is primarily a subtype of the serotonin receptors present in our brain. It is essential to mark this subtype since the medications for anxiety and depression target this site. The current anti-depressant therapies involve the treatment by Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs). These drugs include Zoloft and Prozac. They reduce the uptake of serotonin in the brain by blocking its reabsorption. When serotonin is not being absorbed in the brain, its availability in the synaptic space between two consecutive neurons increases. Since serotonin is available in the synapse, it helps our brain transmit more serotonin signals. As a result, there is a significant reduction in episodes of anxiety. This was about how the current anti-depressant therapies work, but how does CBD fit in this picture? As mentioned, the basis of treatment of anxiety is through the serotonin receptor system, CBD is known to decrease the action time and hence provides relief in symptoms much faster than SSRIs. The bottom line is CBD produces the anti-depressant and anti-anxiolytic effects much quicker than the conventional treatment modality for the same.
- Hippocampal Neurogenesis: The hippocampal brain of the lobe can be called as the mastermind since it is associated with functions like cognition and memory formation. Brain scans of patients with anxiety often present a smaller and degenerating hippocampus. On the other hand, a successful recovery from anxiety shows the generation or ‘genesis’ of new neurons (Neurogenesis). According to studies, CBD might have a significant role in hippocampal neurogenesis, thus making it an ideal choice as an anti-anxiolytic drug.
Effects of CBD oil in a nutshell
People often say mice are not men, and while this holds significance literally, facts might state something new. CBD oils have been gaining immense recognition in the medical world and are worth a try. So go ahead and give yourself a shot at an anxiety-free lifestyle!
Can CBD Help You?
CBD is one of the naturally occurring chemical substances located in the cannabis plant. Though the stigma linked with the psychoactive counterpart, THC, has rubbed off on it, it has been told to have tremendous health gains in treating ailments such as anxiety, mood disorders, depression, and inflammatory diseases. CBD oil aids to significantly improve depressive symptoms and the individual’s quality of life. However, it should be regarded that CBD does not provide a cure for the disorder, but results in a better quality of life for the patient.
CBD Oil reduces Anxiety: Does It Work?
Scientific studies indicate that a product produced from cannabis identified as cannabidiol (CBD) oil can relieve anxiety. CBD is a naturally occurring chemical found in marijuana and hemp plants. However, unlike tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), a popular type of cannabinoid, CBD doesn’t induce any feelings of intoxication or the “high” we generally associate with cannabis.
How does CBD oil help with anxiety-related disorders?
CBD oil is believed to operate with a brain receptor called CB1. Receptors are tiny proteins associated with brain cells that acquire chemical signals from different stimuli and accommodate your cells’ response.
CBD efficiently alters serotonin signals. Serotonin is a neurochemical which plays the most crucial role in maintaining positive mental health. Low serotonin levels lead to depression, anxiety, mood disorders, and at times give way to other severe mental illnesses.
The standard treatment for low serotonin is pharmaceutical drugs like Zoloft and Prozac. However, they are highly addictive and can lead to severe side effects, including headache, drowsiness, agitation, insomnia, and sexual dysfunction. CBD is emerging as a popular remedy with little or no harmful side effects. So far, the only reported side effects of CBD are fatigue and upset stomach, which is negligible compared to long-term damage caused by pharma drugs.
Suggested Reading: How to deal with Anxiety
- Numerous studies have revealed the potential benefits of CBD for anxiety patients. The National Institute on Drug Abuse claims that CBD has been proved to reduce stress in animal studies. Study subjects were depicting anxiety-related behavior patterns. After regular usage of CBD, their physiological symptoms of anxiety, like increased heart rate, showed considerable improvement.
- Studies have also indicated that CBD is beneficial in treating various other forms of anxiety, such as social anxiety disorder (SAD) and post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). CBD has also improved the lives of patients who have insomnia.
- In 2011, a human study on CBD and its consequences on SAD was printed in the Journal of Psychopharmacology. Participants were supplied with either an oral dose of 400 milligrams of CBD or a placebo. The results revealed that those who took the CBD dose felt overall reduced anxiety levels.
- A comprehensive review of CBD studies in psychiatric disorders also found credible results. CBD displayed positive results among patients suffering from depression and anxiety-related disorders. Research is still ongoing to identify the ideal dosages and a better understanding of effects. However, initial studies have shown positive results, and CBD is welcomed in the medical community.
- CBD has also been investigated in other neurological disorders. A 2016 study observed some antipsychotic benefits of CBD in schizophrenia. The authors registered a preference for CBD over antipsychotic drugs known to cause notable debilitating side effects.
Patients suffering from chronic anxiety are advised by doctors to avoid cannabis, as THC is known to trigger or amplify feelings of anxiousness and paranoia. However, CBD can help to diminish anxiety-related behaviors in people with ailments such as:
- General anxiety disorder
- Post-traumatic stress disorder
- Obsessive-compulsive disorder
- Panic disorder
- Social anxiety disorder
Researchers noted that contemporary treatments for these disorders could lead to further symptoms and side effects, prompting some people to stop taking them. No new definitive evidence currently links CBD to any adverse effects. Many users have claimed improvement after they used CBD oils as a treatment for anxiety.
If you have been suffering from anxiety or depression symptoms despite antidepressant therapy options, CBD oil may be a good option. With the help of an expert provider, you may be able to lift your depression and anxiety symptoms and possibly reduce or stop using your antidepressant vaccinations.
WHERE SHOULD I BUY CBD OIL IN INDIA?
CBD industry is not regulated now. This has given rise to many companies who provide fake products. We want you to be healthy and safe while using CBD oils.
Currently, we cannot recommend a manufacturer. Below mentioned are the two manufacturers who are selling CBD online.
Yes, CBD helps, and so does Yoga & Meditation. Hopefully, in the next month, we will be in a better position to recommend a place for your CBD needs. Till then, smoke up!
Hope this helped.
I would request you to share this essay on your social media if you liked it. You are free to accept or deny my request.
See you next week with another novel, fresh, and exciting topic.
Leave comments and suggestions. I need them to improve.
Do you meditate or practice yoga?